Friday, January 19, 2018

five winter coats

Just got the fifth coat of varnish on the refinished gaff jaws, two more to go.  You can see the double sets of dowels, each set put in each time I replaced the leather.  It may look a little messy here but all those dowels will be covered by the new leather.  


Using my sailing duffel bag, made out of used sail materials by Seabags, I did of test of the 30:1 water:sodium hydrochloride solution.  I sprayed the solution on a patch of white sail material that had tiny dots of mildew, let it sit for an hour then rinsed it off.  I was pleasantly surprised to find most of the dark spots gone.

Washing the sails in Woolite and vinegar worked so well that I had considered forgoing the mildew treatment.  But looking closely I found two areas, probably not even a square foot in total, on the sail worth treating, both on the lower panels of the mainsail.  I will spray those areas this weekend, making sure I spray only the sail material and  avoid the stitching, let sit for an hour and then rinse with fresh water.

There will be weather for sailing this weekend.  I thought about rushing the work Saturday to be ready for a Sunday sail.  But instead I will take my time and use the good weather to get SPARTINA put back together just right.  There will be plenty of sailing to come.

3 comments:

Curt said...

Thanks Steve. Was reading about your sail formula and remembered my laundry. Been spending to much time groveling in the woods. And not enough time sailing!

Steve said...

Not much sailing here either, snow and ice haven't been helping. Maybe in a couple weeks we'll get some warm days. Steve

Unknown said...

Hi Steve
I met you when you left out of my Marina,Potters Marine.JUNE 29, 2010. I have recently been giving the task of selling two very well made sailboats, similar to yours. One is a Harkers Island kit boat and the other is a cap cod style or jersey skiff sailboat. They have been kept inside a garage. I didn't know if you where connected to some guys who like these kinds of boats or know a good place to market them.
I would be glad to seed you some pictures.
Conway Potter
Email -conway@pottersmarine.com
252-945-0189
Potters Marine Facebook page
Thanks