Saturday, January 20, 2018

gone, sails so bright


Webb is gone, leaving out of Marathon on GANNET sometime around 9:00 or 10:00 this morning, on his way up the coast to Hilton Head, South Carolina.  You can read about his plans here.  If you read this earlier journal entry you will see that he will be doing coastal sailing this year, including, if weather cooperates, sailing up to Chesapeake Bay and St. Michaels where he will be the guest speaker at this fall's Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival.  That will be an interesting talk.

You can follow Webb on his Yellow Brick here.  


---------------------------------------------------

Most of the mildew is gone from SPARTINA'S mainsail, courtesy of a 30:1 water:sodium hydrochloride mixture.  It was easier than I expected.  I appreciate all the advice that was given to me, particularly some thoughts from Dory Man.  


I used a spray bottle so that I could apply the solution to specific areas, avoiding the threads that hold the sail together.  Less than an ounce of sodium hydrochloride was used.


Excuse the color balance shift in these before (above) and after photos, that has to do with the light, but look closely at the top image and you will see specks of mildew.  They were gone about 10 minutes after the solution was applied. I used that little piece of tape to make sure I photographed the exact area before and after.  Not too bad.  After general washing with woolite and vinegar, plus the spot mildew work, the sails are so white, so bright, I'm gonna need to wear shades.

No comments: