Thursday, January 17, 2019

the polar vortex is broken and I don't feel so good myself

Word comes from the Washington Post that the polar vortex has broken and that means, according to the story, a stormy and cold weather pattern is on the way.  


In the short term that means a rainy Sunday with temperatures dropping for 55 degrees to 19 degrees overnight as a strong front rolls through.


The forecast for the next 10 days or so cold temperatures, rain and, at times, strong winds.  Not sailing conditions even for a dry-suited sailor.  The Post story says the weather pattern should peak in a couple of weeks.  Here's hoping for some sailing weather in February.



5 comments:

Tom said...

Steve, I feel your pain. Except that my boat is in a cold garage getting painted - by me. Topsides painted, tomorrow is boat flipping day, so I can get at the hull without contortions. 17 foot boat, 600 pounds, this is gonna be interesting...

Steve said...

My painting will come in March. Building new saw horses now to lift the boat off the trailer. Good luck with your project. steve

Tom said...

Thank you, Steve for the best wishes. I'm sure your beautiful Pathfinder weighs in at quite a bit... What's your plan, Jack up the trailer and then drop the boat onto your special saw horses? I'm using a chain hoist and some ratchet straps over handy exposed ceiling beams. Got the boat floating 6 inches off the trailer single handedly today. But I've got a friend to help me with the flip tomorrow, boat is sitting in a rolling tackle off the chain hoist. Wish me luck! Will you flip Spartina?

Steve said...

Sawhorses will have the boat about five inches off the bunk. I crank down the trailer jack stand as low as it will go which raises the stern several inches. Stern sawhorse put in place then crank the trailer jack stand as high as it will go which then lifts the forward end of the boat off the bunks. It worked very well last year. Hope it goes as smoothly this year.

JimB said...

Back up to 60° on Wednesday!