Tuesday, July 19, 2022

the back road


Over the weekend I went up to southern Maryland to see the oldest daughter.  To get there, instead of taking that asphalt and concrete nightmare known as I-95, I took the back roads.  Hwy 17 to Fredericksburg and then 15 to Maryland.  Smaller, quieter and more peaceful roads.  Less stress.  Much less.  As far as the time difference, it took maybe 15 minutes more that the I-95 route.  A reasonable trade I think.


Hwy 17 runs right along the Rappahannock River.  I found myself wondering why, save for two short sails up there (one being in Barry's video), I had not spent time sailing the 40 mile-long river.  It is beautiful, winding and treelined.  A handful of towns are on the river, Urbanna, Deltaville, Irvington and Tappahannock, plus several smaller communities.  Mobjack Bay is not too far to the south.  A series of creeks and rivers to the north lead up to Reedville, which is just a short jump across Chesapeake Bay from Tangier Island and Tangier Sound.

 I think next spring, instead of heading south to Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds, I'll make the two hour drive north and spend some time exploring the Rappahannock River and nearby waters.  Should be fun.  Spring on the Bay.  Can anyone say "soft-shell crabs"?

3 comments:

Tom said...

Steve: Shhh! You're giving out my secrets! Always avoid DC traffic. I'll take a goat path over I-95 and the Beltway, although 15 or 301 work too. And the Middle Neck is the Sailing Paradise of the Mid-Atlantic. Shhhhhhh..... :)

In all seriousness, your plan for a Spring Sail on the Rapp sounds wonderful. I know you've sailed there before, so it may be a "rediscovery" trip. Some observations, if I may: Urbana is a wonderful small town to visit, Virginia Street Cafe for Breakfast, and sail up to the next creek (Robinson's) for lunch/dinner - Urbanna Seafood Restaurant. As always beware of crab-pots, the Rapp is full of them and they mark shoals better than the map. Lots of creeks worth exploring - Totuskey, Farnham, Weeks, etc. Only fly in the ointment is the infamous Rappahannock Chop - wind against current with 20 miles of fetch down the river kicks it up short, sharp, and nasty. I broke my mast last year on an especially bad day, so beware.

Fair winds!

Steve said...

Yes, Urbanna food high on the list, as are oysters and smoked fish at Merroir in Topping. Steve

Shawn Stanley said...

Nice idea Steve..those of us that live up here love it. When I was driving to NSN for work, I almost always took Rt 301 to 17 and avoided I-95 and I-64, even though the Interstates were a few minutes faster. I have not been to Mobjack Bay in many years (or Tangier for that matter), but they are great places to cruise.