Thursday, March 17, 2011

from one circumnavigation to another

Book club time......



I'm going directly from one circumnavigation to the next.  I just finished reading the kindle book The Fifth Circle; the passage log by Webb Chiles.  It is one of five kindle books that Webb has available through kindle, all priced at a very reasonable $2.99.  I am a longtime fan of Webb Chiles, I've written about him before.  I've enjoyed his books since the late 1980's, was very happy to hear him speak in the early 1990's, and I am now glad to exchange the occasional email with him these days about our journeys (he sails around the world, I sail across the sound - yet still we find something in common).

The passage log is just that, notes jotted down by Webb as he sailed around the world on the 37' sloop Hawke of Tuonela.  It was a great read.  The book (can we call kindle books books??) has fascinating insights into both around-the-world sailing and Webb's interesting outlook on life.  There is a rhythm about the book, and about the voyage, that goes beyond just the details of ocean sailing.  Weather, sails, broken gear, food and music are all a part of the life he describes.  Webb starts the journey in New Zealand.  Mid-way across the Indian Ocean I felt as if I was along for the ride.  And I felt a tinge of sadness as he approached, months later, New Zealand at the end of the voyage, I was sorry for it to be over.  You know it is a good book when you regret seeing it come to the end.


I'm going from that recent sail around the world to one of the great circumnavigations, this one by Joshua Slocum.  I've read the Sailing Along Around the World a couple of times before.  It is a classic, no doubt.  But this is a slightly different version, a kindle book with enotations - sort of hyperlinks to explain terms - with help from Chris Thomerson.  

This is a "review" copy - a free copy that a publicist sent to me to read and review. Hey, a sailing classic for free?  I'll take it.  Right now Joshua and I are approaching the Azores.  I'll let you know how the "enotated" book is in a while.


And then there is the old printed book.  Yes, ink on paper.  I just pre-ordered a copy of Sea of Lost Dreams by Ferenc Máté.  This is a novel about post World War I sailing in the South Seas.  I read Máté's first novel of the series, Ghost Sea, and enjoyed it.  I hope this one is just as good.  The book - a printed book!! - won't be out until mid-april but I thought it was a good idea to put in the order.  Why would I order a printed book?  Because it will be perfect for a good read on the spring walkabout (print is still best for open boat sailing).  I can't wait.

steve

No comments: