Saturday, March 26, 2011

a penny a foot


I picked up a pack of 1/8 inch braided nylon and polpropylene cord at the expedition store - Home Depot - this morning, 48 feet of it at less than a penny a foot.  I like to always have some on board, I'll tuck a few yards of it in with my spare lines.  I use little bits of it here and there on Spartina, keeping things - like the oar - in place. It makes great lanyards, keeps the cook kit and light kit in place and is great for bundling things together.  Holds a good knot, lasts forever.  What more could I want?

(That oar dates back to my Sea Shell 10, a kit boat my Dad and I built in Texas in the 80's.  I had some fun on that boat, but was soon building the next boat, the Devlin designed Nancy's China.  I don't have any photographs of that Shell, but I've got some good memories and the oar.)



Bruce mentioned to me a week or two ago that he was having trouble finding a post from a while ago.  I can see why - there are about 600 posts dating back to January of 2009.  He wondered if there was some way of indexing by topic.  After some discussion we decided to use the label feature on our posts, tagging with the words "meals", "gear", "planning" and "life on board".  I've made some links to those topics that will sit on the right side of the page just below "some photographs".  It is still not a very good index, but will at least narrow things down a bit when we are looking back for an old post.


And now that the EC competitors have caught up on their rest they are starting to write posts about their experiences.  Kiwibird has some analysis of the gear she used with a promise of a daily log to come.  Paul has a brief summary and some photographs, more to come I expect.  And Dawn talks about her race here.  It is rainy with temperatures not expected to reach 50 degrees today - no sailing here today so I'll read about their adventures instead.

steve

No comments: