Sunday, October 21, 2012

next year

Thinking about sailing trips for next year.....


Spring is completing the Delmarva circumnavigation by sailing from Chincoteague to Cape Charles and then Tangier Sound.  A short trip with a straight line measurement of a little over 150 miles.   Bruce and I are looking at tides so we can part of it outside of the barrier islands of the Eastern Shore.


Fall would be a longer trip, maybe a couple of weeks of solo sailing.  Starting at Elizabeth City on the Pasquotank River, heading south down the Alligator River to Pamlico Sound and Cape Lookout, then Core Sound back to Pamlico Sound, Ocracoke Island, Roanoke Island and - if time allows - maybe a little more exploration of Albemarle Sound.  Possibly early October when the fishing is good and the weather is cooler.  Something to think about this winter.

steve

8 comments:

doryman said...

It's been a hectic season, Steve and I'm far behind in reading about my friend's adventures. Just finished cruising with you and Bruce. What a pleasure, thank you! Just like the old Crab House days, I always enjoy the counterpoint from you two.

michael

JimB said...

Yea, coming our way!

Steve said...

JimB,

I've been meaning to get up that way for a while. steve

Bill said...

Maybe by then I'll have some more work done on my boat and I can sail across the bay, which I've been wanting to do all along anyhow.

Assuming I could free up a few days.

But then again, probably not.

Drew Frye said...

I can assure that Ocean City has the worst tides of the DELMARVA inlets your track considers. Wachapreague and Sand Shoal are both about 2 knots at peak, without the whirlpools, eddies, and foul wave patterns.

Wachapreage has an unmarked north channel between the sandbar island and shore that is used by the locals, generally smoother and deeper than the marked channel. About 15 feet deep this August.

I would aim for Sand shoal at slack high tide if possible; even with your draft, it would be more plesant. Make certain you have time to explore Cobb island; eye candy for the wildlife photographer. But watc hthe access rules (beach nesting).

Good luck!

Steve said...

Drew,

thanks for the information, you just saved me a lot of research. I appreciate it.

steve

Anonymous said...

Steve,

That ActiveCaptain "Guidebook" is a great value to sailors anywhere in the good old USA.

Hugh & I are using it this weekend to transport his Sabre 30' from Rebel Marine Svc in "your neck of the woods" down the D.S. Canal and on down to New Bern.

All the Best,

Buck

Steve said...

Watch out for Sandy!

steve